10 Mar Bible Study : Light of Men
BIBLE STUDY OUTLINE WEDNESDAY 9th MARCH, 2016
MARCH THEME: LIGHT OF MEN
TOPIC: THE LIFE OF CHRIST (CONTEXTUAL STUDY)
TEXT: JOHN 1:1-5, JOHN 8:12, 1JOHN 5:11-12
AIM: TO GENUINELY KNOW AND LIVE THE LIFE OF CHRIST
THE PERSON OF CHRIST:
All things were made by Him, and without Him was nothing made. The meaning is: that He is the source of the fountain of both natural and spiritual life. John had introduced Christ as the Word, as God, and as Creator; in verse 4, we see Christ as Life and Light. Only through Christ is anything alive on this earth. John is speaking of more than physical life. Note that John does not say that life is ”by” Him, or ”through” Him, but ”in Him.” Physical life comes ”through” Christ, but ”in” Christ we have spiritual life, resurrection life, eternal life, and life abundant. What was made had life, whether plant, animal, or intellectual principle in the human beings but that is not the light of men; not that light which could guide them to heaven. For the world by wisdom knew not God, 1 Corinthians 1:21.
Therefore, the expression “in Him was life,” is not to be understood as natural life, but as the life eternal which He revealed to the world to which He taught the way, 2 Timothy 2:10, John 14:6 because He hath the life in Himself, John 5:26, 1 John 5:11-12. “…and that life was the light of men,” is primarily speaking of Christ’s life as a Spiritual light (drawing men to God), and a Moral light (showing men how to live). Hence it follows that this life must be the life of men, by giving them the knowledge of this life, and of the way leading to it.
QUALITIES OF LIGHT
It is important to study some qualities of light as it depicts Christ:
- Light enables us to see, and Christ enables us to discern spiritual things.
- Light fills completely any void open to it, and so, if we empty our soul to Christ, He who “fills everything in every way” (Eph 1:23) will fill it.
- Light, especially bright light, is glorious; Christ is ”the radiance of God’s glory” (Heb. 1:3).
- Light does not mix with darkness, but rather conquers it; Christ has conquered the darkness of this evil world.
- Light makes clear the path; Christ, through His life, also made clear the path we should follow.
- Light exposes; Christ through His life exposes the sin in our lives. Etc
GETTING THIS LIFE:
JOHN 1:5. The sad truth is that Darkness opposes Truth (Light), many people have closed their heart to the truth. John 3:19-21, 1:10-11
- New Birth brings Life. John 3:3,
- Believe, Receive and Live the Life. John 1:9,12, 5:24
I heard in the early days of the Scripture Union (S.U), the question about one’s salvation is ”Have you seen the Light?” beyond such a question, a life that genuinely has Christ’s life will reflect it. Matt 5:14-16.